[ Architectural Monuments ][ Collections ][ Permanent Exhibitions ][ Branches ][ Holydays ]
Suvorov Memorial House in Konchanskoe
The village of Konchanskoye was acquired in 1763 by the great commander's father, Vasily Suvorov. The famous field marshal Count Alexander Suvorov-Rymniksky visited this place three times: in 1784 and 1786 for a short time to complete the formalities connected with the acquisition of the estate, and in 1779-1799 as an exile under police supervision because of his refusal to introduce the reforms of Paul I into the Russian Army.
It was from this place that Suvorov set off in February 1799 on his last and most famous military campaign to Italy and Switzerland, which demonstrated not only his own genius and the strength of the Russian Army, but also the potential for defeating the troops of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Neglect of the last estate's owner A. Molostov -- the husband of Suvorov's great-grand-daughter -- led to the almost complete dilapidation of the house. Only due to the fact that the centenary of the generalissimo's death was marked in 1900, the local authorities and the Novgorod gentry decided to preserve the little summer house (Svetelka) on Dubikha Hill and to erect a stone church in the place of the original one (1786-1789) which had been transferred to St. Petersburg. After the revolution quite a number of original objects were stolen and the constructions fell into decay.
In October 25, 1942, the estate was turned into a museum, which started a new chapter in its history. The exhibits were collected in local villages, brought from Leningrad (many were contributed by the Leningrad Artillery Museum) and from Borovichi museums. Nowadays the rooms of the memorial house accommodate a large number of original objects from the estate, military uniforms of those days, arms, paintings, engravings, furniture and books.
In 1975 a diorama dedicated to the heroic events of the Swiss campaign was opened to the public in the building of the newly restored Alexander Nevsky Church. The park around the museum as well as the old Svetelka and the surrounding territories are being carefully cleaned and restored.
[ Back to Museums ]